Welcome to the web site for The Friends of Vintage Trains, the volunteer support organisation for Vintage Trains. All members share a common interest to preserve steam and railway heritage for the current and future generations.
Due to the ongoing Corona virus pandemic we held a shortened 2021 AGM on 27 March 2021 to cover the essential requirements embedded in our Constitution.
The Friends have funded a replacement sign for Tyseley Locomotive works, to highlight the site and Vintage Trains to traffic on the Warwick Road. The project, with photographs, is described on the Tyseley Locomotive Works sign page.
The Friends’ Committee continue to be active during the current Covid-19 restrictions. Highlights of current activities, with a link in each case to more details, include:
- The PDF of the Autumn 2020 issue of Steam in Trust is now available. If you are not a member of the Friends please have a look at this and consider if receiving a high-quality printed copy, and other benefits, would warrant the modest membership fee.
- The volunteer Archivist for Vintage Trains has kindly agreed to provide articles based on items in the Tyseley archives that will, we hope, be of interest to all members of the Friends. These will be added to on an approximately monthly basis and can be found on our publications page. The April 2021 feature is a history of the Tyseley Carriage Shed (PDF, 6157 KB).
- The Friends have committed a contribution of £500 towards the return of 3 sets of Class 144 Pacers, which have now arrived at Tyseley, to mainline service as part of the VT tour programme.
- A donation of £10,000 from Friends’ funds has been agreed towards the restoration of one of the Pullman Parlour Cars or a similar coach.
- The Tyseley station adoption project is progressing well, but the pace of progress is constrained by the current COVID-19 restrictions.
- The Friends now have a social media presence in the form of a Facebook page and a discussion group.
- Due to the ongoing Corona virus pandemic we are holding a shortened 2021 AGM to cover the essential requirements embedded in our Constitution.
- The Friends 2021 calendar has now sold out, with proceeds going towards the funds that are used to support specific Vintage Trains’ projects. Planning is well underway for our 2022 calendar, which will have a theme of Memorable Moments and Record Breakers.
- A set of 5 greetings cards are also available. They are sold in a pack of 5 different cards with the inside greeting being Best Wishes, making them suitable for any occasion. As for our calendar, all proceeds from the sale of these cards go towards the funds that are used to support specific Vintage Trains’ projects. Follow the greetings cards link to see a gallery of the 5 images and the order form.
- The Friends are supporting a recent appeal for volunteers with many different skills and interests to support Vintage Trains and Tyseley Locomotive Works to come back stronger and faster from the current shutdown.
Please revisit this page for updates on these, and other, events for the Friends.
Members of The Friends of Vintage Trains offer support in many ways, including a range of volunteering opportunities on the Tyseley Locomotive Works site, on the trains and becoming involved in the running of the Friends. Members who are unable to become involved in the volunteering opportunities can rest assured that all of the funds raised by The Friends of Vintage Trains are donated to restoration projects and to support the activities of the Friends.
The Friends of Vintage Trains is affiliated to the Birmingham Heritage Forum; Forum membership is drawn from organisations concerned with collections, historic sites, museums, galleries, churches, gardens and visitor services within the Birmingham area.
Please follow the links on the right of this page or below for more information about the Friends and ways to get involved.